Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Almost Assembly Time!

     This week, some of the parts already came in and more parts are coming in later this week. It's reassuring that we are ahead of schedule. Last week, we decided upon a keyboard, mouse, and monitor for the computer. I mentioned that we would also need speakers, but it was determined that they weren't really needed because the monitor came with speakers attached. If the speakers on the monitor aren't good ( which is likely), Ivan already has speakers at home that we can use. This is the final parts list and shows when everything is supposed to come in.

     The total came out to be $944.72 dollars, which was under our limit of 1000 dollars. We originally thought it would be less because we had not factored in the tax (Whoops!). The second thing we had not factored in was the wireless adapter needed for connecting to the internet. As laptop users, we had completely forgot about this because laptops usually have built-in wireless. Computers need either an ethernet cord or a wireless adapter to connect to the internet. Because Ivan's computer is two rooms away from his router, the ethernet cord solution does not seem viable. Therefore, we looked into some wireless adapters. We found a wireless adapter for 20 dollars, resulting in a total of $964.72 spent.
     Now that the parts are in, we needed a schedule for assembling the computer. The schedule we came up with is right here:

    I talked to Ivan and Josh and we agreed that we would work on it Sunday, November 2nd because Ivan had to finish his questbridge application on Saturday and I had orchestral obligations on Saturday. We chose the time 12-5 PM on Sunday because Josh had church in the morning and Ivan needed to leave for work at 5 PM. We will probably want some people who are good with computers there as well to make sure we don't break anything.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Richard, as someone who has built a computer before, I know how potentially complicated it can be. Make sure your hands are dry before touching any parts. Several of the hardware, such as the GPU and the CPU can be potentially damaged by sweat. i wish you, Ivan, and Josh the best of luck

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would also like to give some advice on the actual build process. While it can seem tempting for all members of your group to work simultaneously, this may just make things more chaotic. Instead, work in shifts so nobody gets in each other's way. Looking through your parts list, I am glad you followed me and Albert's suggestions. I hope we didn't fail you.

    ReplyDelete